Raw Coconut Cake
Always more frequently we hear about the toxicity of certain food and the damage they cause to our health. Overcooked food high in fat and low in nutrients leads to very bad consequences on human physical condition and bad mood. However, the question is: how could we overcome these issues, in a society that offers always less adequate education to food? It’s simple: we have learnt how to live in good health.
A vegan diet is surely one of the most appropriate choices to keep away from these problems, but it is fair to know that there are more radical and healthy methods: for example, the raw foods diet.
Raw food is a way of feeding that excludes cooking food and involves religious, environmental and healthy choices. A raw foods diet is made up of fresh, whole, rough, plant-based foods: it is considered an healthy diet, because it preserves most of food nutrients, avoiding cooking methods.
There are various types of raw foods diets: the omnivore raw food diet (which includes the consumption of all foods that can be eaten raw); the carnivore raw food diet (which includes the consumption of raw meat and raw animal products and low consumption of vegetables); the vegetarian raw food diet (which includes the only consumption of raw vegetables, that do not include the killing of animals); the fruitarian raw food diet (which includes the consumption of only raw fruits), the vegan raw food diet (which includes the consumption only raw vegetables).
Among these type of diets the best is definitely that of raw and fruitarian vegan food. So, why do we need to start a raw food diet?
Why raw food is good for you…
When cooking on the stove you lose the real food taste, the real texture and most of the its quality. A raw food diet is not only easy and fast, but also healthy and low cost: it increases body energy level and gives a healthy weight, it improves brain functions, it helps keeping the body hydrated and younger, and clean skin, it keeps the body constantly purified and healthy, it is detoxifying. Moreover, this diet helps our bodies assuming all the food nutrients, it reduces environmental impacts and it brings many other benefits that you will discover yourself. It is not a simple choice and it must be addressed gradually. If you’re not ready to make a raw food diet, you should follow a similar regime for short periods (for example, for a week when you need it), to try keeping your body as healthy as possible.
With the arrival of the warm season, a raw meal may be much more appreciated. Today, I will prepare a raw coconut cake: I am sure you won’t do without it!
INGREDIENTS FOR 10 PORTIONS:
For the cake base:
- 200 g mix nuts
- 100 g dates
- 30g sunflower seeds
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 30 g coconut flour
- 30 ml coconut oil
- 130 ml maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
For the cream stuffing:
- 2 avocados
- 100 g dates
- 100 ml almond milk
- 200 ml maple syrup
- 30g cocoa powder
- 20g mix nuts
- Coconut flour
- Roasted almonds (for a 100% raw cake use raw almonds).
For the cake base:
- Blend with a kitchen mixer some nuts until you reduce them to a mush.
- Add dates, sunflower seeds, cocoa, coconut flour, coconut oil, maple syrup and salt and blend until mixture becomes smooth and moist; you can work with your hands.
- Transfer the mixture into a round cake baking pan and flatten on the basis, to form a homogeneous layer.
- Let it sit in the freezer meanwhile you prepare the cream.
For the cream:
- Blend avocados and dates with a kitchen blender.
- Blend with almond milk and maple syrup together.
- Add cocoa powder and mix nuts.
- Pour the cream on the cake base.
- Garnish the cake base with coconut flour and almonds.
- Let it sit in the freezer for about 2 hours.
- If the mixture seems too dry (the base and the cream), add more milk or maple syrup. It all depends on nuts you used.